Golf Instruction – How To Get That Slow Easy Swing

Click Here for More Golf Tips: http://ignitiongolf.com

Golf Instruction

In this golf lesson I show you how to get that smooth, powerful swing everyone marvels at. You know the one. It’s that swing that looks like the person is barely swinging yet they hit it a mile and they seem to hit every fairway. Although it looks simple it does take a little effort and the right instruction.

Most people are confused when they see someone with this type of golf swing. They just can’t figure out how they do it no matter how much golf instruction they have taken. If this is you, what you are missing is that the body is telling the arms how fast to come down.

In a good golf swing the body only rotates at approximately 2.5 mph. If the body doesn’t turn very fast and it’s telling the arms how fast to come down the overall swing would appear slow and effortless.

The power is generated through the club hinging and re-hinging in the wrists. The looser the wrists, the more clubhead speed that is generated. If you’ve ever had some golf instruction or lessons in the past you will have worked on your wrist hinge but in doing so you were most likely trying to hit the ball solely with your arms. This hitting tightens your wrists and actually slows the club down.

To get this easy look you need this looseness in the wrists and you get it by not trying to hit anything at all. In other words, you’re just letting the arms go along for the ride.

For more golf instruction tips please visit my YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/paulwilsongolf

Also, please go here for more information about golf lessons and schools:

And http://www.paulwilsongolf.com

Comments

Noore Tautaya says:

Hi. Im beginning. last week while using the driver, got a pain in my left right cage and to my back. is there any cure or stretching exercise we can do to cure it. Thx in advance.

1111mort says:

When I was a teenager, the guy I copied was Gene Littler. Unfortunately, I never ingrained that tempo on a permanent basis. Jack & Arnie were also models, but I usually over did it and hit it inconsistently.

Randall Kurzman says:

Great video Paul. i've been working this lately and am amazed to find I've always swung way too hard. Like you mentioned, if an average or above average player thinks they are swinging at half their speed, they are probably swinging at 75%. The arms need to slow down to almost nothing; more a feeling of cooperating with the body instead of the arms leading the swing. The ball was going so much farther with so little effort I kept saying to myself "no effort at all" and it would go "a mile".

Roma says:

Paul, I cannot thank you enough for your instructional videos. I listened to every one one of them. I have taken lessons before, but mostly I was self-taught. I swear I have seen every golf instruction video on YouTube, and none have had the impact that your series had on my swing. It took me hitting 300 balls in a row, but I persisted and finally got hang of what a real golf swing is supposed to feel like, it's nearly effortless. My drives were going 250 max before, and now I am bombing it 300 + yards with controlled draw. Forever grateful.

Joe Perez says:

One of the smartest things I ever did for my game was purchase Paul's Swing Machine Golf Book & DVD!!!

Joseph Meyer says:

Hi, is this going back to Ben Hogan' s "Five Fundamentals of modern Golf" or taking them into account?

Ed Berger says:

I hit the ball with my arms and a delayed wrist cock maintaining the angle. My distance is not a problem…But consistency is costing me strokes – especially off the tee . Yesterday, I played with a focus on letting my body determine how fast I swing and that synchronization really helped. Thanks Paul, I think this may help usher me out of the 11 handicap ( been stuck there for the past 2 years)

135 Pilot says:

You sir, are a genius. I'm a new player, maybe 8 months into it. I've had a horrible time with distance, miss hits, and consistency. My distance was seriously lacking, and the worse my distance, the more I tried to kill the ball. I put every ounce of oomph that I had into it. I literally looked at the ball with hatred as I tried to smash it. my distance just got worse. my accuracy got worse. Balls were always flying in stupid directions. I constantly topped to ball, or missed it altogether. I've spent more time looking for balls in the trees than I have in the fairways.

Today I started searching YouTube in desperation. I found this video. It gave me a little hope. I packed my stuff and headed to the range to give this a try.

The first handful of balls were sort of blah. But then it clicked. All this time I gave been struggling with the driver and I was finally hitting the ball. 90 percent of my hits were nice solid hits that went straight worth decent distance. I could barely get 150 yards worth the driver (if I got lucky enough to make contact). Today, I was going a hair past 200 without barely trying. one after another. boom boom boom. straight. Hardly no miss hits. I can't believe how much easier this is.

I've had lessons. I've watched tons of videos, always trying something new. I am convinced that this video is the single most important key to unraveling the mystery of the golf swing. I'm seriously blown away.

I can't wait until I have a trip to Vegas. I want to find you, and get a personal lesson with you. You are a master of instruction

Jennifer Kim says:

Paul, I started to adapt to the swing. My swing now feels and looks effortless with 2 months in. I used to have a low pull. But now with my new swing, I get 1 of 2 things: 1. I get a terrific drive and goes where I am aiming. 2. I get a terrible push to the right (no slice). My position of the club head is squared so that is a good thing. I'd say 7 out of 10 I am pushing the drive. What can I do to help it stop pushing. Is it too much hip turn? Too flat of swing?

Sanath Kumar says:

Very Practical advice. Will try. Great tip about slowing the swing, Using wrist and adding body. Thanks, Sanath.

Mitch Y says:

5:57 one of the best tips ever, learning to control your swing with tempo is unbelievable tip. almost all pga tour pros accredit taking their game to the next level when they figured out to control their trajectory and distance with a similar drill. thanks for the reminder

Luke Daniel Borel says:

You teach basically the same way I do. I just started teaching golf, and decided your method is the only sane approach that will work with anyone at any level.

What I do in my own game is to slow down my body rotation so that I can just let my arms drop and it syncs up with my slower body rotation. Then, once I can do that, I start turning my body slightly faster, and start my arms dropping a little earlier in the down swing,

I think I will watch your videos.

Now a subscriber.

Also did a like on this video Slow Easy Swing.

Thanks

dbossmx says:

Definitely a good tip. The only thing stopping me from having this type of swing on a consistent basis is lack of discipline. Cause Im always forgetting what works and going back to slugging with my arms. BTW Another golf pro that comes to mind is Steve Stricker. Watch him next time you get a chance. So fluid and effortless. It's perfect.

Ken Grieve says:

Excellent video. Your going to put all the swing instructors out of work!

009emkay says:

WTF is with the captions?? Not even close!

311hitwall says:

I can't seem to control my club well enough if I am as loose as Paul is talking about – always seem to leave the club open

kell Prsn says:

Who tf has done the texting?

Roland North says:

Paul–What can you do to keep from spinning out ?  Trying to turn my hips faster seems to promote spinning vs shifting ?

Kenny B says:

Good video!

Alister Reid says:

Hi Paul,

For the first time EVER I decided today that enough was enough. I knew that I was 'hitting' the ball and couldn't understand what else could be done until I saw your video. Today I went to the range. I held the club at about three (ten being the strongest). It felt strange not ever having done it before. How could I possibly strike a golf ball with so loose wrists – it must
fly out of my hands? – the result was unbelievable – for the first time in my life I realised why I had all the inconsistency I've been troubled with. The ball flew with my 7 iron (around 160 yds) – it was straight or sometimes with a little draw. I just could NOT believe it – even now as I'm typing I still feel it impossible. It was an absolute delight for this to happen. I was beginning to think that I'd never know what a proper strike was – now I know!

If anyone out there is trying to 'hit' the ball – stop it!….don't worry if it takes you 20/40/60/80 buckets of balls..stick with it because it works – you just have to BELIEVE that such loose wrists can keep control of the club. The club face closes and that little 'whip' at the end is just the finishing touch – what an absolute delight…I just can't believe it.

Thanks a MILLION Paul.