Jordan Spieth Golf Swing – Face On Super Slow Motion

From http://www.1steptobettergolf.com. See the great professional golfer Jordan Spieth in action. Learn to play golf like a pro with the 1 Step to Better Golf 4-book series. Books include 1 Step to Better Golf, 1 Step to Hitting it Long, 1 Step to Perfect Putting, and 1 Step to Swinging Like Tiger Woods. There is no need to get custom golf equipment or attend an expensive golf school. Just read these golf instruction books.

Comments

Daniel Barwatt says:

He's got a very unique swing. It's not the prototypical golf swing but it works for him and thats all that matters.

Digiphex Electronics says:

Too many injured players with this method and now people are saying allow more lower body on the backswing.

James McDonald says:

Check out how at address the top of his hat is directly under the yardage sign. Then, after he reaches the top of his backswing, he drops his entire body down many inches. It is impossible to come "over the top" after doing this.

Kevin k says:

If your coach tells you to keep your weight on the insides of your feet, find a new coach… No stability on the insides of a post. The outside does the work.

Kevin k says:

We have liftoff!

Gravity is barely keeping his right toes and outside of left heel/arch on the ground after impact That's the result of using your legs to SWING HARD!

Chris Downing says:

Don Craven – I agree. Iffy commentary – that's what you want to do – roll over on the left side of your foot? Faldo used to do this quiet legs thing way back and did a video where he practiced dry swings with a very short club off his knees. Not sure about that left foot rolling over, that was never part of Faldo's drill.

osils gasil says:

what about his left arm at cocking phase? Ive heard straightening left arm is critical for precise shot.. but his left arm isn't….

Luke Daniel Borel says:

I calculated time various elapsed for Jordan's Driver Swing

Total time from start to top of the back swing – 0.5935 seconds
Pause at top – .0835 seconds
Elapsed time from start of the down swing to impact – 0.3749 seconds
Total Time from start of swing to impact – 1.0014 seconds
Total Time of swing from start to finish – 1.5 seconds (not including the wiggling around that takes place after the club is basically at the last of his follow thru)

The remarkable thing is it takes 0.5935 seconds to reach the top
and it takes 0.3749 seconds from the start of the down swing to impact.
There is a ratio of 1.583 of the time from start to top of back swing divided by the time from the beginning of the down swing to impact.

It takes him 0.2186 seconds longer to go from the start of the back swing to the top of his back swing, than it does to go from the start of his down swing to impact. I would have thought that a down swing was much faster than his back swing. The back swing to the top takes 36.83 percent longer than the time from the start of the down swing to impact. I would have thought there would have been a bigger difference in speed between the back swing to the top, and from the start of his down swing to impact. So that tells me that the down swing should feel 36.83 percent faster than the back swing to the top (ignoring the pause).

More breakdown

Elapsed time from start of the back swing to the club shaft being parallel to ground – 0.125 seconds

Elapsed time from club shaft being parallel to ground to arms being parallel to ground – 0.0835 seconds

Elapsed time from arms being parallel to ground until reaching the top of his back swing – 0.385 seconds

Elapsed time the club is paused at the top – 0.0835 seconds

Elapsed time from the start of the down swing to the arms being parallel to ground – 0.2083

Elapsed time from the arms being parallel to ground to the club shaft being parallel to ground – 0.0833 seconds

Elapsed time from club shaft being parallel to ground to impact – 0.0833 seconds

Elapsed time from impact to arms and club shaft being in a straight line pointing towards the target and being parallel to ground in follow through – 0.125 seconds

Elapsed time from arms and club shaft pointing towards the target and the top of the follow through – 0.375 seconds

Time for complete swing from start to finish
0.125+0.0835+0.385+0.0835+0.2083+0.0833+0.0833+0.125+0.375 = 1.5519 seconds

Time of swing from beginning of swing till impact 1.0014 seconds

Time from impact to your basic finishing position at the top of follow thru 0.125+0.375= 0.5 seconds

The reason I calculate all of these times is because it might only be possible to duplicate his swing if I swing with the same tempo and timing for the start time of the back swing, to the time at impact which is 1.0014 seconds. Once I video myself and get my timing right on start to impact, then I will proceed to make my swing match at each way point of the back swing, the amount of pause at the top of his back swing, the way points on the down swing to impact and the follow through. I do not think I will be able to duplicate the exact times due to his flexibility and extension with his arms on the follow through, but I should be able come as close as possible and try to come close to each way point of his swing. At the very least I will learn what his tempo is from start to impact and build in the same amount of pause at the top (Jordan's pause at the top is 0.0835 seconds).

I watched a video at full speed and approximated that a full swing took 1.5 seconds.

Then I watched a super slow motion video where 24 slow motion seconds equaled 1 real time seconds. Then I converted for real time and typed in the results above.

Yes I am aware that Jordan could change his tempo and amount of pause at the top and still probably play just as good. But since the timing and tempo Jordan has seems to be working good for him I think it is valid to measure elapsed times at each way point of the swing.

The only thing I have figured out yet after taking a first video of my swing, is that the only way to get the arm extension that Jordan does is by having my hips and pelvis pointing toward the target in the follow through where his arms and club form a straight line pointing at the target. Also note that Jordan keeps his arms and club one straight unit almos to the top of his follow thru. And even though I do not seem to have the flexibility to extend my arms and club like Jordan does, I can at least try to get my way points matched to his as an approximation.

Another thing I just did was to record my swing on my web cam and my elapsed time from the start of the swing to impact is about 2.0 seconds. So I converted my web cam video of my swing to slow motion, and once I speed up my swing so that it takes 1 second from the beginning of my back swing to impact, then the next step would be to view my way points on my back swing and see how far off I am compared to Jordan's swing way points.

And even though some golfers has slower or faster back swings than Jordan's, it might be that the time from the start of his down swing to that when he reaches impact might be an average time lapse of .3749 seconds to shoot for, with the proviso that the flex stiffness of the golf club shaft might change the time lapse way points to try to achieve.

An observation I have made is that many PGA golfers do a certain thing at the top of their swing, they bend a little more at the waist so that their face is looking almost straight at the ball. The when they get close to the impact area they make up for the micro bend at the top, by extending their spine which flattens the arc coming into the impact area.

If you watch Jordan swing in the video we are all watching, go to his second driver swing. If you watch real carefully you can see the golf club shaft release, which in effect closes the club face slightly and releases the stored up energy formed during the down swing in the form of a curve in the shaft, that if timed correctly will release it's coil right before and during impact. When people rush the down swing too much it does not give the bent bowed energy in the club shaft to spring forward at impact. That is probably why when a player on TV pushes and slices their shot, they sometimes mention that he was to quick on the down swing. I am guessing that if you de-accelerate right before impact that you might get a snap hook.

Good Regards

Luke

William Reichert says:

His legs look "quiet", but his core. his pelvic and his leg muscles are working hard
to keep his legs looking "quiet".Most golf "analysts" fail to understand that muscle work can be required to minimize motion and, on the other hand, a lot of motion can occur without muscle work immediately involved.. This issue is due to the reliance on
pictures rather than an understanding of the muscle mechanics behind the pictures.

Juan Colmenares says:

It is very interesting to see his right hand during and after impact. He is not trying to flip the driver over (which may produce a pull or a hook), instead he controls the direction of the club face with his hand. This is why he doesn't produce as much power as other players (look at Rory McIlroy's hands for example, very quick) but is very consistent, and that is one of the reasons why he is currently number one, his putting being the main reason!

Don Craven Jr says:

By definition, any touring pro's swing is excellent – it's producing an elite result. Many well meaning 'swing gurus' like to overanalyze things that are irrelevant, unimportant, or worse, damaging to an individual golfer. Often instructors will tell students that it's better to have a wider stance/narrower stance, straight arm/bent arm, faster takeaway/slower takeaway, shorter/longer backswing, bowed/cupped wrist ad nauseum. Go down the practice range at a PGA tour event and you'll see all variations of the above, but doing what matters: hitting the ball in the sweet spot with a square club face accelerating thru impact, with the end result being long, straight, consistent shots. Focus on that – everything else is just noise.

TheNYgolfer says:

Ben Hogan said he felt he did not want to allow his right arm to roll over his left after impact. Hence he kept the club face square to the arc longer resulting in a huge extension well after impact. Spieth and Zack Johnson are amongst the best at this today. Deadly accurate way to play golf if you can master it but does require strength

Medicinal Gaming says:

he should lean back more on his back swing

Cornetta's Golf Expert Trainer says:

What separates players from hackers is a lower body large power muscles moving quickly and correctly with the upper body small fast weak muscles relaxed taking it easy. Arm swinger 90 plus arm and leg player 77-85 Power leg player upper body relaxed LOW scores. Formed into habit patterns deep into the sub conscious right brain holding up under stress without left brain analytical thought. Swing Right Without Thinking!!!

Hondra Hathorne says:

Practice it's all about practice and learning so he got his lesson early so do not hate cause his net worth is more than yours!!!!!!!! He is working to keep on top of his game: haters need not apply……

Khu NoPie says:

1:31 for mashed potatoes

La Croix c says:

Absolutely beautiful leg work????
you lost your mind or sight.

Gman6755 says:

Best golfer on the planet right now!  Love watching him play!  Go Jordan!!

FullTimeHypocrite says:

best swing in golf nowadays

Tristan Blevins says:

People say his swing is bad cause it looks weird, but I cannot get over how stable his clubface is thru impact. No wonder he's so consistent.